Port Washington is a hamlet and census-designated place in Long Island on the North Shore . As of the United States 2000 Census, the community population was 15,215
In broader sense, however, Port Washington includes the communities of Baxter Estates, Manorhaven, Port Washington North,Sands Point, Beacon Hill, Beacon Hill Colony, Manhasset Isle, New Salem, and northern Flower Hill as these areas share the same ZIP code, school and library districts.There is a list of schools below.
The Village of Port Washington North was incorporated in 1932. However, the Village, part of the Cow Neck peninsula, dates back to the mid-1600′s and is one of the early settlements on Long Island. The creation of the Village of Port Washington North and its land use relationship to the peninsula is directly related to its natural resources.Examples of this include the grist mills, which were built where there was water to power them and sand mining which occurred where there was sand and a means to transport it away.
The process of land use evolving from natural resources must be reflected upon. In the process, history and the progression of land uses must be examined along with the current conditions in order to plan for the future. Simply put, it is necessary to know who we were, so we can decide what we want to become.
Port Washington is a hamlet and census-designated place located in Nassau County, on the North Shore of Long Island, New York. It is an unincorporated area within and directly governed by the Town of North Hempstead. The five square-mile area comprises four villages, a large unincorporated area and part of another village - Flower Hill, which straddles Port Washington and Manhasset. As of 2000 census, there were 15,215 people, 5,521 households, and 4,168 families residing in the CDP.
The latitude of Port Washington is 40.825N. The longitude is -73.698W. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Elevation is 98 feet. The history of Port Washington dates back to the 17th century when a small group of English settlers acquired land from the Dutch in a region flanked by beautiful bodies of water. During Henry Hudson's voyages in 1609, the Dutch claimed that it gave them the rights to Long Island.
They had purchased what amounts to the western half of Nassau County from the Matinecocks, members of the Algonquin tribes who inhabited much of the North Shore of Long Island. Sint Sink, "Place of Many Stones," was the name that the Matinecocks gave to this neck of land nestled between scenic Hempstead Harbor and Manhasset Bay. The English settlers were allowed to pasture cow and the peninsula became known as Cow Neck, and the bay on the west side was called Cow Bay (former area name). In recent time, Port Washington continues to charm people because of its natural beauty, country appeal, and diverse ethnic population. Port Washington has evolved into a true "melting pot" community.
The area has its public school system which generally gets high marks from parents. Of last year's 411 high school graduates, 85.5 percent went on to either four or two year colleges. Notable residents living in the area were Craig Johnson (senator), Perry Como (singer), and John Phillip Sousa (a famous conductor). There are still several houses in the center of town that were built near the turn of the century. Some of these were the Locust Avenue near the Port Washington Library, originally stood nearer the center of town. They were moved to make way for newer commercial buildings. The split-level houses with three or four bedrooms are typically ranges from $150,000 to $175,000. Homes in Sands Point are situated on larger lots having a higher price which have been sold for more than $1 million.
Resort hotels were built to accommodate thousands of tourists, many of whom would make a permanent home for its beautiful beaches and restaurants. The area is known for its restaurantís fine cuisine that line mostly in Main Street, Shore Road, Manorhaven Blvd., and Manhasset Bay. No place is ever perfect and no people more beautiful than Port Washington.